Friday, January 7, 2011

Radical by David Platt

Never have I stumbled upon a book that made me think so much about where I stood with Christ. Radical opened my eyes to what it really means to be a follower of Christ. David Platt's words are undisguised and say it like it is, bringing us to ask ourselves, "Am I radical? Or have a fallen into the trap of the great american dream?

"Radical" is defined in Websters Dictionary as "a person who holds or follows strong convictions" or "A person who advocates fundamental political, economic and social reforms by direct and often uncompromising methods."

So then, that being defined, who can say that they are Radical for Christ? Do you hold and follow strong convictions and do you never compromise? Is Jesus worth everything to you that you are willing to give up everything for Him?

This book challenged me to think about who Jesus is to me. Yes, He is my savior and I cannot fully express my gratitude to Him, but do I live like that? Do I live like He is everything to me? Would I be willing to give up everything in order to go and follow Him? This book made me think about that question, and in the process, changed how I live.

Being radical is not compromising. It is believing in something so strongly that you do not back down and you live in a way that shows and supports fully what you believe.

In reading this book, I learned that to be Radical, that means me pushing past my feelings and doing the work that God has called me to do. God has called us all to witness and to make disciples of all nations. This can be uncomfortable sometimes. But we should impact the world! We have this amazing gift from God, and it is available to all people if they choose to accept it! How can we not spread the Word!? It is time to step above the crowd and speak not only with our words, but with our actions that We are Radical for Christ and that we are taking our faith back from the American Dream!

David Platt challenges the readers of his book to participate in the Radical Experiment. This experiment requires that one does these things:

-Pray for the entire world
-Read through the entire Word
-Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose
-Spend your time in another context
-Commit your life to a multiplying community

I'm going to take this challenge, and I'm also going to challenge you to read this book. It is truly inspiring! In these last days we must remember, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few." Step up to the challenge, and show that Jesus is really worth everything to you by living radically!

In our age, it has never been easier to convert someone and yet harder to disciple.

The beginning starts at the end of ourselves. I highly recommend reading Radical: Taking Your Faith Back from the American Dream by David Platt. You will be challenged and you will be blessed.

No comments: