Friday, April 1, 2011

A Rare Beauty [And a SheSpeaks Scholarship Opportunity]

Today is one of those rare days where I did everything right.
  •   -My hair went the way I wanted it to go.
  •   -My makeup went on nicely in a fun way I decided to wear it today. (Bonus: it covered up my blemishes and spots on my face.)
  •  -I wore the "right outfit" that is both modest and complements my looks and personality.

This is a rare day where everything I wanted to go right with my appearance did. But when it came down to it, I remembered my verse I sign next to my name, 1 Peter 3:3-4:

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”

I am quite happy with my appearance today; but at the end of the day when I’m sitting in my big comfy chair in my sweats and an over-sized T-shirt with my hair in a messy ponytail on top of my head and my makeup washed off, I want to be beautiful. I’m not talking about the outer beauty that is here today, gone tomorrow, and ever-changing by the world’s standards. I am talking about the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit – a young woman who is humble, loving and compassionate to others. And whose outer character is a reflection of her inner character. I want my beauty to be genuine, and a reflection of who I really am and who I am in Christ. 

In our world, people constantly are saying how you have to look and dress and act. They are constantly pressuring us to conform to what they say is beautiful. Please, tell me, who are they to say what is beautiful? Who are they to say who or what is worth more? God’s creation is beautiful, and He doesn’t make mistakes. When you start thinking along the lines of what the world says about beauty and putting your appearance down, you are saying that God did a bad job - which is anything but true! God knit you together in your mother’s womb and ever so perfectly he formed you with great intention. From your eye color, to your hair color to your personality, your genes, God purposely created you this way, and you know what? He is enthralled by your beauty. (Psalm 45:11) [Emphasis mine].

Do not believe the lie that your worth is based on your looks. But know the truth that when you realize just how beautiful you are and see who you are in Christ - that is true beauty. 

1 Samuel 16:7 says:

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 

Your beauty is found in a heart that serves God and that is sensitive to His presence and obedient to Him. It is found in a heart that follows God's leading no matter what feelings may be present. If He calls you to stand, you stand even if you do so alone. If He calls you to write, He will give you the words. If He calls you to speak, open your mouth in faith that He will speak through you using you as a vessel. There is such a beauty in obedience. There is a beauty in having a quiet heart. There is a beauty in stepping out in faith and knowing that God orchestrates everything so beautifully. The beauty is in fearing God. 

In Proverbs 31:30 we find, "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting: but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." 

I believe with all of my  heart that God has called me to speak and to write. He has already promised that He would give me the words. All that I have to do is listen for Him. In July the SheSpeaks conference is in North Carolina. SheSpeaks is all about women connecting the hearts of women to the heart of our Father God.  

Check out the scholarship opportunity by clicking here
Also, take a look at the She Speaks site by clicking here.

My prayers and blessings go out to all of you. 

Dancing in the shadow of His cross,

Brittany L. Ketter

2 comments:

ashley said...

Hey Brittany. If u want u can just email me at, amlprincess@wi.rr.com :) Hope u had a great weekend!!!

WorshipDancer said...

Hey Ashley!! great to hear from you! And I had an amazing weekend, thank you! I can't wait to write about it!