Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ready, Salt....Answer!

“In your hearts, set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” 1 Peter 3:15 [emphasis added]

It was a typical day for me. I did school, ran some errands, and then began to get ready for work. The sounds of spring were in the air and the weather was warmer than it had been in weeks. I put my window down a bit as I drove breathing in the warm fresh air. There was feet of snow on the side of the road just beginning to melt, but I still enjoyed the scenery that clearly showed that winter was fading and spring was finally coming. More than ever, I was ready for spring. It had been a long winter that included a record-breaking snowfall and freezing temperatures. Spring was more than welcome to be on it’s way.

Upon pulling into work, I said a prayer for God to use me and that he would shine through me and that he would be seen in me. Just like my typical day, I did my typical work. Notices, processing, shelving, repairing, working at the desk - nothing abnormal for me at all. But then something that was a bit different did happen. I was sporting my Southeastern University shirt which has printed into the design, “Be Salt.” As I was checking out a patron, he noticed my shirt asked me what “be salt” meant.

So many thoughts when through my head at that moment, the foremost being that this was a chance I had been praying for. But then, I realized, how could I explain “be salt” to a non-Christian? This stumped me for a moment and I slowly explained what it meant to me and how in the Bible in Matthew 5 it says that,

“You are the salt of the earth. If the salt loses it’s flavor, how then can it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world, a city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do you light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they will see your good works and praise your father in heaven.”

I went on to say how salt cleanses, and although it irritates the wound at first, it ultimately benefits you greatly in the end. Salt is pure. We are told to be salt and light in the world.

I grimaced inwardly at my poor explanation. The man looked at me trying to understand what I had said. He made a short reply about that being cool, and then took his books and left. As he walked out those doors I realized something, that I had lost a real chance to be salt and to be a light. And why? Because I wasn’t ready. I was not ready to give an answer.

After that day, I set out to ready myself and to arm myself with answers that I can give to anyone who asks. I came upon 2 Timothy 4 which says, “Preach the Word; be ready in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction.”

We all need to be ready. Whether it is our time to go out or our time for staying where we are. We need to be ready to give an answer. We need to be prepared. How can you prepare yourself today? Are you ready?

~Brittany

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what? I really needed that. I wasn't gonna read what you wrote, but I felt God telling me to. Thank you :)

Will Weeks said...

Got to agree there... ☺

WorshipDancer said...

Thank you! :)

Will Weeks said...

Can anyone tell me where the "Subscribe" button is?

Pen of Honor said...

Very true. You never know when God will give you an opportunity to share His light, and if you aren't prepared, then you will unfortunately misrepresent God to those who need Him. Not to say that that's what you did in this situation at all! But many Christians are put in this position all the time, and they have nothing to say, because honestly, they don't even know what really being Christian really is. Apologetics is an excellent thing to get into for this very reason, but of course, that is only one aspect of "being salt." Excellent message. It is one that is needed more and more. ;)

Pen of Honor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Hi Brittany! Its Ashley. so glad you gave me your blog. Have a good day and will talk soon.

WorshipDancer said...

Hey Ash! Great to have you on here! You bet we'll talk soon! :)

Do you have a blog or anything of the sort?

ashley said...

The best i have is a email. lol! I'm still really old in that sense. :) Is there a way i can give you it??