Friday, May 6, 2011

Here I Am - Lord, Send Me! (My call to India)


"Go." 

Wait. Did that seriously just happen? Did I seriously just hear that?

"Go"

I heard the voice again as the visions danced before my eyes. I could see many places and images of India, Haiti and several other places flashed before my eyes. This continued for some time. I lost track of exactly how long. When I opened my eyes, I could see the "soak room" was filled with women crying out and seeking God - all of who were here for the Women Without Walls Spring Retreat which was themed "For Such A Time As This..."

The "Soak Room" was 1 of the 4 sessions being offered that Saturday. It was a time to bask in the presence of the Lord and to seek His face and praise Him. And wow, did He meet me in that room! One word. One simple word and a vision. He gave me a desire that has long been planted in my heart. 

But I couldn't leave it at that. I prayed that the Lord would bring me a confirmation as to what I heard and saw that day in the soak room. 

Several hours later, I found myself back in the community room for worship and our final session before we departed. I was talking with several women and one of them told me that I should come to India. Pause. Right there! That was my confirmation! Praise the Lord! 

In 2009 I was in Orlando for National Fine Arts (Assemblies of God Fine Arts Festival) with my Fine Arts Church group. That week was amazing and one of my favorite memories! One of the events that we did there was called the Eurasia Experience. This basically was us being thrown into a huge drama where we were shown what it would be like for us to go to one of those countries as a missionary. They had a whole market place set up and people dressed the part. It was crazy! You really thought that you were there! They even took girls out of the groups and at the end, we were brought to this other room where they were selling these girls! I remember being in shock that this really does happen! It really opened my eyes. And it was that week that a heart for India was born in me. Why India? I'm not entirely sure. But that is where I latched on to. And I've desired to go there ever since. 

India - Located in Southern Asia is a land of both extreme riches and extreme poverty. As they still hold their caste system in place, if you are born poor, you will always be poor and there is no way out of that. The contrast between the castes are amazing. On one hand, you can see the buildings that boast of riches, and on the other hand you see in the slums the houses are mostly like tent-like structures made of mud, straw or coconut leaf, or palm leaves. India is also known to have a very high rate of human trafficking. 
"India, along with Thailand and the Philippines, has 1.3 million children in its sex-trade centers. The children come from relatively poorer areas and are trafficked to relatively richer ones. (Soma Wadhwa, "For sale childhood," Outlook, 1998)" 
This just breaks my heart. There are so many children there that day after day are bound to sexual slavery. They are raped and beaten and abused. And for many, they spend years in this lifestyle before they are thrown out. 

There are several groups that are working with Touching the Hem of His Garment Ministries to build The Redemption Home. This home will help bring young girls out of the sexual slavery. There they will be cared for and educated, be taught a life skill and most important - learn about Jesus and how he sets them free! The land for the Redemption Home has been secured, however, for the building to take place, there is still money to be raised. (You can donate to the Redemption Home by clicking this link and following the instructions). I will post updates on the Redemption home as they come. I am so excited for the building of this home! There are other ministries already working in India to help these children and women. Project Rescue has a book which I read not too long ago by David and Beth Grand entitled Beyond the Soiled Curtain: Project Rescue's Fight for the Victims of the Sex-Slave Industry. It is a tough read but is filled with so many amazing stories of how they are working in the lives of these girls and women by ministering to them and helping them find hope and healing - physically, emotionally and spiritually.

I am so excited about being called to minister in India. I cannot wait to see what God will do through this! 

In His shadow,

Brittany L. Ketter




2 comments:

Michaela said...

Hi Brittany!
I stumbled across your blog today and I just wanted to let you know that that I think it is truly wonderful that you are willing to follow the Lord wherever He may call you. sexual slavery is an issue that has weighed heavily on my own heart for many, many years and I'm hoping to get more involved with different ministries/counseling after HS. Thanks for sharing the Lord's call on your life- I know that He will work through you to advance His kingdome.=) God bless! <3 Michaela

WorshipDancer said...

Hey Michaela!

Thank you for stopping by! :)

That's awesome that you want to get into that! It's some heavy stuff, but if God calls you to it, He'll bring you through it! :)

Prayers and blessings to you as you walk with Him.

Let me know what you get into.And keep in touch. I plan on working in stuff like that so might be able to help out in the future. :)

God bless!